Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Computer freezing after startup, now won't turn on at all, need advice.?

My computer started freezing after start up only sometimes. I ran antivirus software and adaware. Then it froze completely on the desktop, not even the cursor would move, then wouldn't turn on at all, but i could still hear the hum of the fans going. I took it to computer repair shop and they say i have a bad motherboard and cpu. They say they need to replace both at $300. Does this sound right or should i get someone else to look at it?



Computer freezing after startup, now won't turn on at all, need advice.?norton antivirus



I have a hard time believing it's the motherboard. I think it's the registry and maybe outside cookies. This is what I would do. First, click on Control Panel, click on Network and Internet Connections, Click on Internet Options, click on the General tab (should already be there), click on Browsing History, click on Delete, click on Delete All. See if that fixes the problem. If not;



I don't know what computer you have, or what version of Windows you have - I'm guessing you are using Windows XP and have the install disk. You can get a huge new hard drive these days cheap. I saw a Hitachi 400 GB for $100 -



I would install a new hard drive, then install Windows on it and start over again. Also can get a hard drive enclosure for the old hard drive for about $25 - put your old hard drive in it. It will just plug into the USB. You will be able to retreive your old data from the old hard drive and then use it as a back-up hard drive. Make sure you reformat it to erase any viruses.



If that doesn't work, then you may need a new motherboard %26 CPU. I found this set-up at TigerDirect for $150.



Mach Speed P4MSD-800 D2 %26 PD 940 OEM



Mach Speed P4MSD-800 D2 Via Socket 775 MicroATX Motherboard and an Intel Pentium D 940 3.20GHz OEM Processor



That's is a pretty nice board - it isn't that hard to put it in if you can do it yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment